Student participating on Weatherford College sports teams should download the forms prior to going for their required physical and return the completed forms to the Weatherford College Athletic Trainer.
The above forms are required for students participating on Weatherford College sports teams.
WHAT IS AN ATHLETIC TRAINER?
Certified Athletic Trainers are medical experts in preventing, recognizing, managing, and rehabilitating injuries that occur during physical activity. Athletic Trainers (AT’s) can help avoid unnecessary medical treatment or get the appropriate medical attention if needed.
Athletic Training is recognized by the American Medical Association as an allied health
care profession. AT’s specialize in six main domains:
• Immediate Care
• Clinical Evaluation and Diagnosis of Injuries
• Treatment, Rehabilitation, and Reconditioning
• Organization and Administration
• Professional Responsibility
- Bachelor’s Degree from an athletic training accredited University
- 70% of AT’s Have Masters’ or PhD degrees
- Passing a National Board of Certification Exam
WHO DOES AN ATHLETIC TRAINER WORK WITH?
- AT’s work under the direction of a licensed physician and in cooperation with other health careprofessionals, athletic administrators, coaches, and parents.
- AT’s gets to know all of the athletes which enable them to treat injuries more effectively in most cases.
A TYPICAL DAY OF AN ATHLETIC TRAINER?
- Evaluate injuries and to determine their management and possible referral
- Rehabilitation of injuries
- Preparing athletes for competition, practices, or conditioning which may include taping, bandaging, or bracing
- Develop conditioning and rehabilitation programs
- Administrative and record keeping
- Athlete Insurance
- Help provide coverage for (6) Weatherford College teams including:
- Baseball - Softball - Men's Basketball - Women's Basketbal l - Men's / Women's Rodeo - Cheerleading
- Learn Techniques used by athletic trainers including:
- First Aid - Taping / Bandaging - Injury Managemen t - Conditioning - Injury Prevention
- Classes Offered:
- Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries - Taping and Bandaging
*** Paid and Volunteer athletic training student opportunities available ***